Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The wild side of India (4 legged creatures and such)

I know I'm way over do on blog posts, so I'll try my best to catch up. Life is getting quite busy, and I've gotten to the point where I very much feel a part of life here at Rising Star. I'm getting used to expecting the unexpected, getting bombarded by adorable, energetic and loving children all hours of the day, and seeing a ridiculous assortment of animals wherever I go. Just here at Rising Star, we have 2 ducklings, 3 kittens, 2 dogs, 6 parakeets (or so), 2 love birds, 2 cockatoos, many fish, a lamb and then on any given day I may also run into a variety of bugs, frogs, toads and insects. Let me introduce you to some of the furry, feathery and scaly friends I've made since I've been here.

The three kittens (yet to be named). They were found right outside RSO campus, and some of the boys here rescued them. They are currently living in Lyndsey's (volunteer director) room. They are the cutest things you'll ever see.

Here's Monica. She's the sweetest most lovable dog. There is also Monicum (apprently that's a Tamil word), but he's not a huge fan of people right now.

The cute ducklings.

Our love birds.

Children beside the bird cage, where the parakeets live and the fish tank, where some aggressive fish poked out the eyes of some of the other fish. The blind fish now live over in the volunteer house.

One of the many toads I've seen sine I've been here. (they're everwhere). Rumor has it we might try to capture some of them to do toad races. We'll see....

The huge spider that nightly made webs outside of the green house. We fondly named her Charlotte. Sadly (or not so sadly), we haven't seen her for the last couple of days.

The other day we saw this Cobra, one of the many venomous snakes that live here in India. Snakes are one of the bigger concerns, and at night we only walk on lit paths. If we come across a snake, we call Jim or John, and they come kill the venomous snakes.

Outside of Rising Star, we encounter many animals as well. For example, the other day in Chengalpattu, we came across some pigs rooting through some garbage in the street.

While out and about, you also may come across monkeys, or one very fat monkey, like this one here.

Or these cute little guys.

Cows, of course are everywhere. They are in the country, in the villages, in the city. In people's front yards, tied to lamp posts, crossing the street, pulling wagons.... Everywhere! I found this bull rather interesting.....

Then aside from all the animals out in the wild, I also got to go to the Chennai zoo. Then it got even more interesting. While at the zoo, we rode around in this awesome golf cart, and checked out all the wildlife, such as this Gar. (check out those muscles)
and this Bengal Tiger.
And these white tigers.
In case you were wondering, not all the wildlife at the zoo is in cages. The sign says "beware of free ranging deer, snakes, etc." Kinda makes you wonder what the "etc." is.

Also saw the snake house, which really freaked me out, because I realized that I might run into any number of snakes in the wild while I'm here, but I also saw this cute chameleon. Not quite as scary.

And why not a picture of one more cow, for good measure. (I've literally seen hundreds since I've been here).

1 comment:

  1. 1) India looks scary. I don't like snakes. I would always be hollering for Jim or John cause im scardy pants.

    2) puppies are cuter than kittens. Always.

    3) I'm glad you're still alive.

    ReplyDelete