Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Dance in the classroom

So I'm finally getting settled into my new schedule and its really exciting! I feel like I'm starting to make contributions to the work that Rising Star and Promethean Spark are doing here in India. One of the things that I'm doing is introducing the arts (dance and music) into the english classes. I hope to provide additional opportunities for the children to learn English and integrate into their every day lives. English is such an important skill for the children to learn as it increases their chances for a good successful future tremendously.

I taught my first couple of classes this week, and I was amazed at how well they went. Everyone has been really supportive and encouraging of this idea of integrating the arts in the classroom, so its a great environment for trying out these ideas. I've taught children as old as 8th standard (8th grade) so far and as young as 1st Standard (1st grade). I've been amazed how responsive the kids are to the lessons plans that I present, and I feel like they're learning something already for one lesson. So far I've used the song "Help" by the Beatles for the older kids and a cute "head shoulders knees and toes" type poem for the younger kids. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm getting really excited about additional ideas for future lessons. If you guys have any additional suggestions out there, send them my way!

In other news, I've been sick for the past couple of days (a cold), but today I'm finally feeling better! A lot of the kids and staff here are really sick, fevers, colds, coughs, and it spreads so easily because we all live here on campus. It's tough, but I'm grateful that I was only sick for a couple of days. Some of the children are so sick though. I feel so bad for them, and I hope they get well soon. I miss seeing them at school, and its hard to see them with low energy and not feeling their best.

I've been making a lot of connections with the children the last couple of days, and I will definitely share stories about more of the children soon. There was one request for a blog about food so I'll make sure to post something soon as soon as I get a few more photos of some of the yummy dishes I've been eating.

Send me some love! I feel so far away from all of you, and I sometimes wonder what ordinary everyday American things I'm missing out on over here in Asia. Feel free to email or leave me messages on my skype number. It's 678-701-4825. I promise to respond :)

No comments:

Post a Comment