Sunday, November 6, 2011

Life Dance Performance

Today is the Muslim holiday Eid-ul-Adha, so the kids don't have school. That means I get to catch up a bit on my blogging. This holiday celebrates Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac. The purpose of the celebration is to remember one's own submission and willingness to sacrifice to God. Traditionally for the celebration people sacrifice a sheep, and eat the meet and then share gifts with friends and family. That's not happening here at RSO though, so I get the day off to relax and catch up on things.

On Friday night, the Life Dance Troupe that meets every day after school had their first performance. There's a small group of short term volunteers that are leaving soon, and Rising Star wanted them to see a performance before they left. For the couple weeks the kids have been working really hard to get ready for the performance. It's been great working with the kids and sharing their excitement for the big day. This is how we all felt before the performance started.

Anne has been working hard for the six weeks before I got here, and these kids look amazing. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to work with her for the next 2 months.
C. Vignesh, Arun, Anne and I being gansta.
Check out these cool PS t-shirts that they wear to perform!
The kids ready to perform.
The audience
After the performance the kids did some free styling and we had a dance party with the audience. It was so fun and so exciting. Throughout the whole performance I was just grinning from ear to ear. These kids are so great, they work so hard, and you can see the joy on their faces when they dance. They really love it.
I'm so glad that I have the opportunity to be here to work with these amazing kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment